.post img { float:center; min-width:360px; max-width:360px; max-height:360px; min-height:360px; padding : 10px; line-height : 2em; margin: 0 auto 10px auto; clear: both; }

Wednesday, November 25, 2009

From Stay at Home mom to 10th grade Biology Teacher

Yup you read right. 4 days after arriving in Utah, I became a long term substitute for 3 10th grade Biology Classes and 1 7th grade science class at a school here in Utah called American Leadership Academy. Life has been insane because of it. I took 10th grade Biology and I took Biology 100 at BYU, and that's the extent of my Biology "knowledge" (and I don't really remember anything from those courses). I replaced a teacher that went on pregnancy leave. I guess the school was desperate because they couldn't find anyone to fill her shoes. It's been a little overwhelming because the teacher I replaced took all of her resources home, all of her lesson plans, worksheets, and she even took all the posters off the wall, basically leaving me with one lesson plan for one day and the teachers editions to the books.

So I've been putting in about 10 hours a day in total with being at school, studying the subject, writing lesson plans, finding worksheets and activities to do, making copies, etc. I only get paid once a month on the last day of the month which is a total bummer because the check I receive for November will cover Novembers bills, and the check I get for Decmeber, will be after Christmas, after Kendal's Birthday and after all of our December bills are already due. Jared has yet to find part time employment, so even after receiving the blessing of full time work, we're still in a pickle - frustrating.

I might even be back in January and work until the end of the year, if nothing happens with Jared.

Some good news, is he had a phone interview with a company in New Orleans yesterday who were very interested in him, and who were looking to hire quickly. He's made the "short list" (which we've heard before time and time and time again). But at least it's a boost for the morale.

I'm actually not minding my new job now that I've done it for a few days, the students are all really good kids, and it's getting easier to plan my days. The hardest part is not being home with my kids until 4:00 everyday. I feel like I'm letting them down by not being home and that's hard to come to terms with. Jared is now the stay at home "mommy" and lets just say he would prefer to be in my shoes.

The highlight of my week: Seeing New Moon - I have to say that I loved every single minute of it and I wouldn't mind seeing it about oh a million more times. Jacob Black.... Smokin Hot.

4 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my. I was a long term substitute for a high school teacher who had a huge emergency heart surgery. He was totally disorganized and I had nothing. I don't remeber all the subjects I taught, but I know one was AP World History, a subject that I NEVER took thanks to moving around in middle and high school. I think I had a sociology class and maybe two US Histories. I WAS DYING. I was so greatful to have the job, but it was totally overwhelming and exhausting. And I didn't have kids yet! I actually got out of it after a few weeks because I got hired mid year as an elementary music teacher. I loved that job and had it for a year and a half until we moved.

You have a great attitute! It will all work out.

Ahhh . . . Jacob Black . . . .

Suzie Soda said...

So good to hear some good news from you. I have been "dying" for your hard times and praying a blessing would come into your lives. Hooray....these days, any job is good. Try to enjoy the holidays and we will pray 2010 is a good year and will bring even more blessings. Remember this is temporary. I know the kids love you....you would be an awesome teacher.You are a SURVIVOR.

Haven't made it to New Moon yet,,but it would have been fun to see it with you and watch you ooh and ahh. I heard it is better than Twlight.

Victoria said...

Holy Crazy! I would love a teaching job someday, but I would certianly choose a differnt subject like health and coach track or something. I think this is a great opportunity. Think of all the stuff you'll learn.

Good to hear that you are in Utah. We'll have to get together before you run off to Gumbo land!

Anonymous said...

I'd say New Moon is good for Morale too. And candy and cakes :) Good luck with the teaching and Jared's job stuff too.